London City airport is the nearest airport to the centre of London. It mainly serves European destinations with smaller aircraft than Boeing 737 for example. Located in the Docklands area of East London, the runway is on a strip between two docks and is an experience to either land or take-off from!
It is a small airport which means walking distances are much shorter in the terminal compared to Heathrow or Gatwick for example
Rail: DLR (Docklands Light Railway) is the best way to get into London. Take the DLR to Bank or Tower Hill to access the London Underground. Always use the Transport For London (TFL) website when navigating London with public transport.
Taxi: you can take a London black cab from directly outside the terminal. Canary Wharf is about £14, or Bayswater is about £55 for example.
Mid-range hotels in London and the UK in general include Premier Inn, Travelodge, Mercure for example
Eat in the hotel, or if you fancy venturing out
- there are loads of Curry places on Brick Lane
- China Town near Leicester Square
- Burger and Lobster. You have a choice of burger or lobster on the menu. Simple.
- The London Eye ferris wheel
- Shakespear at the Globe Theatre
- If you have a whole day – Greenwich! Take a ferry down the River Thames from the Houses of Parliament. Spend the day in Greenwich looking at the Cutty Sark, Naval museum, look at the zero meridian (where zero degrees starts on all maps!) at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich Park. Try the Trafalgar Tavern for a beer by the river