Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is about 11km from the central train station (Hauptbanhof) in the centre of Frankfurt
Train For getting to the centre of Frankfurt there are 2 choices;
- S8 or S9 S-bahn city trains go to the Haputbanhof. They stop at other stations in the centre too. About 35 minutes (S-bahn trains run more frequently than the ICE train below
- ICE (InterCity Express train). Also takes about 35 minutes
For up to date public transport connections and ticketing explanations see the excellent RMV website
Coach/Bus: There are a number of bus options to the centre of Frankfurt and other areas beyond Frankfurt. For up to date public transport connections and ticketing explanations see the excellent RMV website. We recommend using this for planning travel by bus from the airport
Taxi: Taxis can be collected from outside the terminal. About 35 euros to Hauptbanhof in Frankfurt, and 20 minutes in good traffic
- Holiday Inn which is located at Mainzer Landstrasse 27, Frankfurt am Main, 60329, Germany Eat in the hotel or turn left and walk 3 blocks – loads of eateries in that area.
- Mövenpick Hotel Frankfurt City. Next to the Messeturm. Very easy to to from the central train station ‘Hauptbanhof’.
- Comfort Hotel. In the centre. Towards the cheap end for cost. Loads of eateries immediately outside so you will not be stuck for something to eat
Eat in the hotel, or if you fancy venturing out:
- Jewel of India for Curry Just across the road from the Messeturm
- Saltzkammer Restaurant for great schnitzel. Located in the old town. Mid-range on price. If you are new to schnitzel try the Wiener schnitzel with dunkel bier (dark beer).
- Fletchers Better Burger. Bloody brilliant burger base. Just a few minutes walk from Hauptbanhof
- Cruise on the Rhine. Half day or full day options
- Visit the old town based around Hauptwache. About 15 minutes stroll from the hauptbanhof.
- Visit the ‘Museum District’ on the south bank of the river. About 15 minutes walk from Hauptbanhof. 12 Museums, several of international reputation.
- Paris Tram and regional train (RER) map
- Frankfurt Metro Map (S-bahn and U-bahn)
- Excellent resource for public transport information in the Frankfurt area. Gives information on trains, buses, S-bahn, U-bahn and ticketing information