Berlin Schoenefeld Airport (SXF) is about 23km from the central train station (Hauptbanhof) in the centre of Berlin.
Train For getting to the centre of Berlin there are 2 choices;
- S9 or S45 S-bahn city trains will take you to the outter ring of s-bahn trains that circle the outskirts of Berlin. You will need to change at Ostkreuz from the S9 to the S5 or S7 to take you onto Alexanderplatz and the central train station (Hauptbanhof) in the centre for example They stop at other stations in the centre too. About 45 minutes (S-bahn trains run more frequently than the RE train below
- RE (regional trains). Take the R7 or RE14. About 35 minutes. Will stop at Ostbanhof, Alexanderlatz, Hackesher Markt, Hauptbanhhof, Zoologischer Garten
*REMEMBER* If travelling by public transport back to Schoenefeld you will need a ticket to take you to zone-C
For up to date public transport connections and ticketing explanations see the excellent BVG website
Coach/Bus: There are a number of bus options to the centre of Frankfurt and other areas beyond Frankfurt. For up to date public transport connections and ticketing explanations see the excellent RMV website. We recommend using this for planning travel by bus from the airport
Taxi: Taxis can be collected from outside the terminal. About 40 euros to the centre of Berlin (‘Mitte’) and 30 minutes.
- Motel One. Very nice hotel chain in the mid-range with a number of hotels throughout Berlin. There is also one in hipster Kruezberg. Loads of eateries and bars immediately outside on Oranienstrasse. Use the U-bahn or 15 minutes walk to Alexanderplatz.
- Mövenpick Hotel Frankfurt City. Next to the Messeturm. Very easy to to from the central train station ‘Hauptbanhof’.
- Comfort Hotel. In the centre. Towards the cheap end for cost. Loads of eateries immediately outside so you will not be stuck for something to eat
Eat in the hotel, or if you fancy venturing out:
- Lemke Brauhaus Fabulous alehouse that does great schnitzels. Strongly recommend the Wiener schnitzel with dunkel bier (dark bier). Located under the arches between Alexanderplatz and Hackescher Markt.
- Saltzkammer Restaurant for great schnitzel. Located in the old town. Mid-range on price. If you are new to schnitzel try the Wiener schnitzel with dunkel bier (dark beer).
- Fletchers Better Burger. Bloody brilliant burger base. Just a few minutes walk from Hauptbanhof
- b-Flat Jazz bar in the Hackescher Markt area. Mmmmm smmoooth.
- Mauer Museum (Check-Point Charlie Museum) which is at the bottom of Friedrich Strasse.
- San Soucci in Potsdam if you have a whole day.
- Top of the Tower in Alexanderplatz. Take a vertical 250 meter trip up in the sky (book tickets in advance). Amazing views on a clear day. Restaurant also at the top of the tower which revolves.
- East Side Gallery has the last stretch of the Berlin wall. Have a bit more time? Then carry on walking to Alexanderplatz and down Unter Den Linden to the Brandenberg Gate (‘Tor’)
- ‘Museum Island’ on Unter Den Linden has 6 world-class museums. The Neues Museum is definitely worth visiting
- Paris Tram and regional train (RER) map
- Frankfurt Metro Map (S-bahn and U-bahn)
- Excellent resource for public transport information in the Frankfurt area. Gives information on trains, buses, S-bahn, U-bahn and ticketing information