Austin-Bergstrom airport is about 7 miles / 15 minutes drive from downtown Austin.
MetroBus-20 every 15 minutes from outside the terminal. About 40 minutes and $2.50 to the downtown area.
Taxis are available directly outside the terminal. When you exit US Immigration turn to the doors to your right on the same level and head outside. A trip to the centre is about XXX dollars.
After exiting US Immigration gjo up a floor and walk over towards the card park past the sculptures. Carhire building is immediately in front of you.
There is no rail or tram service to Austin-Bergstrom airport
Hotels in the downtown area are on the expensive side. There are some decent hotels outside the downtown area.
- Fairmont Hotel. Upmarket 37 storey town in downtown.
- Hyatt Regency. Just the other side of the river. A little less expensive than those in the downtown area on the north side of the river
- Residence Inn by Marriot. Outskirts of town. Much less expensive. No bar or restaurant (but do a simple breakfast).
- Reds Gun Range. 100 yard shooting range. Brits need not fear; they will show you how to hold, load and fire a gun
- Go for a walk from Esplanadi to Kaivopuisto (‘pusito’ means park). 4km / 50 minutes in the route shown
Absolutely loads of great places in the downtown and around the edges! Here are a few suggestions:
Eat in the hotel, or if you fancy venturing out:
- Rudys BBQ. Real juicy brisket. They also encourage trying some free samples before you choose.
- Kerbey Lane Cafe. A number of them dotted around Austin for 24 hour breakfasts and dinners.
- Friends and Burgers. Gourmet burger joint.
- Getting around Austin
- CapMetro for public transport in the Austin area. Put in your start and destinations and it works it out for you. Mostly, there is also a single ‘MetroRail’ train line heading north from the downtown area.